The New Mexico Department of Health has established two Toll Free numbers to report incidents:
TEL: (800) 445-6242
FAX: (800) 584-6057
Report Complaints Online:
Online Incident Report
Incident Management Bureau (IMB)
Incident Management Bureau is part of the Division of Health Improvement, overseen by the Department of Health. The Incident Management Bureau takes a proactive and preventative approach to improve the quality of care for vulnerable individuals, served by community-based programs.
The incident management process, one component of an overall risk management strategy, involves the collection, classification and use of incident data to protect people from harm. As used most effectively in caregiving, it is the equivalent of an aggressive risk management system, constantly collecting a complete array of information about the safety of its operations. The Division of Health Improvement, Incident Management Bureau has implemented a comprehensive incident management policy, one designed to help all components of the system protect people from harm. DOH's policy assumes that unaddressed harm increases risk to an already vulnerable population, and has the potential to limit life choices available to those we serve. Correcting and avoiding harm is a critical component in establishing an everyday life for individuals and assuring that person-centered planning is a reality.
The Incident Management Bureau
- Works to improve the quality of services in order to prevent the abuse, neglect and exploitation of person receiving services in community programs.
- Conducts investigations and provides data-tracking of reported allegations of abuse, neglect and exploitation.
- Works directly with the Children Youth & Families Department and the State Ombudsman Program to conduct investigations either independently or in collaboration.
Reporting of Incidents/Complaints
Direct Care staff and any community or family member may report. Providers are required to report incidents as follows:
- Abuse, neglect or exploitation
- Emergency medical services
- Use of Law Enforcement
- Environmental hazards
Incident Management works with the following service types:
- Developmentally Disabled Waiver
- Medically Fragile Waiver
- Developmentally Disabled (State General Fund)
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Intermediate Care Facility for the Mentally Retarded - state Jackson Class Members only
Trending of Data
The Incident Management Bureau maintains extensive databases to track patterns of incidents within community based providers. Quarterly and annual trend reports are produced for the developmentally disabled waiver and general fund providers. The trend reports are available on this website; they are distributed to providers, other state agencies and the public.
Acting Bureau Chief
PH: (505) 476-9012